Skip to main content

Weirdest regionals season...

Weirdest regional season

There's the amount of tournaments, there's the interference from System Open's, there's a new FAQ. There's a meta that doesn't know what to do with itself. 

# of tournaments

Somehow it feels there are very few tournaments in Belgium this season. I'll list them up:
  • 25/02/2018 Aalst De Hermelijn (24/32)
  • 11/03/2018 Mechelen Spelfanaat (44/40)
  • 24/03/2018 Seneffe Cartazimut (42/40)
This are only 3 confirmed regionals. It feels that last year we had at least twice the amount. Lets just hope that this is just a lapse and we can get more tournaments going again the following years. 

Luckily our dutch neighbors also have a list of tournaments. 3 weeks ago I attended the one at Dice and Legends in Amersfoort (taking third place) and this weekend I will be going to Subcultures in Utrecht. 

System Open's

There's a whole bunch of System Open qualifiers going on together with this regional season. There are currently 6 in Europe! I'm planning on attending 2 of these. The one in Birmingham and the one in Paris. So I hope to see you there!

What feels off is the timing. It coincides with regional season (or we're all just really, really late). I understand as a TO it's difficult to change dates once your venue is booked. At least the meta's seem to be similar. It doesn't matter if it's a System Open or a regional. You want to bring your A-list. 

New FAQ


So three weeks ago we were in this new meta. Wave 12/13 had just hit and no-one knew what to expect. I flew a Ghost Wookie combo first introduced by Dee from the Mynock Squadron Podcast. The lists I encountered were diverse and strange. There were several forms of imperial aces, sometimes backed up by Alpha-class Star Wings. There were double Shadowcasters. There were other Ghosts, there were Kylo's. There even was a Bistan :). 

What I mean is. The amount of different lists was huge. And then Miranda/Nym happened. For 2 weeks the only thing you heard on any podcast, Facebook post or Reddit was 'Trajectory Simulator', 'Genius', 'Miranda', 'Captain Nym'. But having played against it only in a casual setting I can't really comment on how strong it is. It does feel dirty. 

And now our new FAQ overlords have arrived. And the world shall be whole again. I'm really curious to see which lists will be played tomorrow in Utrecht. 

"The Meta"

These are my predictions. They're probably wrong, so don't worry about them. Or do. I can't tell you want to do...
  • Alpha-class Star Wings + an ace. All loaded up with Harpoon's and other ordinance.
  • Miranda/Nym. Players that have put in the reps won't really be bothered by the changes to Trajectory Simulator. The list might have lost a little bit of it's punch, but I'm pretty sure it will prevail. 
  • Rebel Fenn Rau. Apparently he's good. Haven't really played with or against him. So could be interesting to find out. 
  • Any form of Ghost + Wookie (or Fenn Rau). The evolution of Kanan/Biggs. My current favorite list. Tomorrow I'll be flying an adaptation of last week's Chopper/Lowhhrick. 
  • RAC/Something. A combination of Rear-Admiral Chiraneau + something. There are some really good playing flying this.
  • Plot Armor. With unsinkable Poe using R2-D2.
  • Weird stuff. Kimogila Fighters, X-wings, Firesprays. Everything coming out of the cupboard, enhanced with the new toys from wave twelvethirteen. 
So good luck to all those going to tournaments. Have fun and fly casual!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swag, swag, SWAG!

Swag, swag, SWAG! No Store Championship this weekend, so this blog post is all about swag! Everyone loves swag! Don't you love swag? I love swag! And lately more and more players have taken to handing out custom (non-official) alternative art cards in tournaments. (I'm trying to start the movement in Belgium) It's in no way a requirement and no-one will look at you dirty if you don't bring anything. It's just a little extra to be nice. Look at this picture of all amazing cards I was gifted by other players. So if you think you're kind of an artist or know someone who draws stuff and you're allowed to use their art, you can make these cards yourself pretty cheap! For those that want to, but have no idea on how to begin. Here's a small guide! Creating the card Today I'm going to show you the process by making an actual card out of this amazing picture of a TIE fighter I drew! I've long thought about which pilot to use, but ar

Just keep swimming

Just keep swimming Alright. Last weekend's tournament at Cartazimut (Mons) didn't go as planned. I brought my Kanan/Biggs list from the European Championship and got destroyed. I ended up 17th out of 22 with a 1-3 record. What happened? Round 1 - Yassin - Jan/Keyan/Thane My opponent was a newer player which probably explains the unusual (at least for me) list. Jan with Predator, TLT and Nien Numb. Keyan with Advanced Sensors and Push the Limit and Thane with R2-D2 (droid), Alliance Overhaul title and Chopper. Going into the match I felt it would be rather easy. Having a double TLT shot with the Ghost would ensure me almost guaranteed 4 hits on those 1-agility ships. However Yassin flew way more aggressive then I  expected which meant I had to switch around targets every turn to have some use of that Fire Control Systems. I traded Keyan for Biggs and then a lot of the Ghost for Jan.  Ezra ejected before the Ghost blew up and I ended up chasing Thane. I was cl

Setting a challenge

Preparing for Store Champ season So this year I plan on going to 6 Store Championships. And I set myself a challenge. I will fly a new list-archetype every tournament. Most-if-not-all will be meta-archetypes. Some of them will be new, some of them will be old. Some of them I will have flown before, some of them I never even touched. Why would I do this? In preparation for the European Championship I consistently flew my Kanan/Biggs list. And I got good with it. At least good enough to be happy with it. But I also felt I became predictable. Flying a list you've rarely or never flown before makes you less predictable. And with 6 tournaments planned in about as many weeks it's also a tool to fight tournament fatigue. I love X-wing, but sometimes you have to protect yourself from a burn-out. And being the competitive player that I am I don't like to take intentionally 'gimped' stuff just for lulz and giggles. So let's break open the tournament-meta and as the C