Skip to main content

I give up

I give up

Well, not on X-wing of course. But on my challenge. Honestly there is only one Store Championship and one list left. But I'm just not feeling on submitting and playing that list next week. I went into the challenge with confidence. But then Wave 11 happened. So many new toys and good lists came out. 

And my last list was going to be a fluffy list, just like the list I played this tournament was an older one. But in the current meta it just doesn't work. So yes. I'm giving up. Next week in Charleroi I will be playing a competitive list in preparation of the Nationals, foregoing my last challenge-list that was aptly named "The last Jedi". 


So this weekend's tournament was at Spelfanaat Sint-Niklaas. And it was great! And I lost every single match and ended in last place. Reason for that was the list, I think... I was flying BBBBZ. It's an older list, but during practice it seemed to work. One improvement to the original list is the additional 4 Collision Detector's. Nothing too fancy but I don't have to roll on debris. Guess what type of obstacles I brought :) So what happened at the tournament?

Well, I had my laptop/webcam combo out again. But instead of recording I went with streaming. However there was a wrong setting in twitch because of which the games were not recorded. Too bad, but maybe you saw something on https://www.twitch.tv/sparkofrebellion?

Round 1 Michel

First round was against a squadmate. Michel was flying his own variation of Dengar/Nym which is quite powerful. I stayed in close swarm formation while he split is forces and took Dengar along the board edge while Nym went through the asteroid field. There was a round of combat where Nym didn't get to shoot and Dengar took 6 or 7 damage. While Nym closed in and scattered my swarm formation with his bomblets I could only get 1 or 2 unmodified shots on Dengar every round and I was not able to finish the job. Remember kids. Positioning and dice modification are key!

Oh and look at Michel's beautifully painted ships!


LOSS 28-100

Round 2 Steve

Steve was flying his own version of Fur Ship Rebels (Biggs, Lowhhrick, Jess and Captain Rex). His swarm flying was a lot better then mine. First round of combat I was only able to shoot with 2 of my B-wings while all his ships had shots. Second round didn't get much better as it was a bumpfest. B-wings start dying and when I only have a Z-95 left while nothing of him is damaged I threw in the towel.


LOSS 0-100

Round 3 Raf

Another EGO squadmate! Raf was flying a Dash/Nym build. So important things first. REBEL NYM IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FROM SCUM NYM! Those range 2+ -sized obstacles he leaves lying around are really annoying. A combination of these, a slippery Dash and Nym that could boost out of most of my arcs made for a very one-sided game. 
LOSS 0-100

Round 4 Kenneth

Kenneth is a new player. Apparently it was his first tournament! He flew a combination of "Zeb" Orrelios in the TIE Fighter, Cassian Andor and Rey. It was the last game of the tournament and nothing was depending on it so I tried something different. I tried to set up a castle by doing a 3K with the Z-95 and 1-forwards and 1-banks with the B-wings. This allowed me to get nearly all guns on the enemy the first round of combat, but without actions I depended purely on the dice-gods. And that's a poor strategy! 



The whole game ended up being a bumpfest and neither of us could do enough damage to get a full victory. I think this might be the only game that went to time for the entire Store Championship season. 
LOSS 27-78


Congratulations to my fellow squadmate Arno for winning the tournament! He got lucky though. The first thing he said to me in the morning was 'Did you bring your 2 Jumpmasters? I forgot my stuff'. So he managed to win the tournament with a borrowed Dengar/Tel Trevura list. What a pilot!

Join me next week on may be the last blogpost in this series as the Store Championship in Charleroi is flown!




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Swag, swag, SWAG!

Swag, swag, SWAG! No Store Championship this weekend, so this blog post is all about swag! Everyone loves swag! Don't you love swag? I love swag! And lately more and more players have taken to handing out custom (non-official) alternative art cards in tournaments. (I'm trying to start the movement in Belgium) It's in no way a requirement and no-one will look at you dirty if you don't bring anything. It's just a little extra to be nice. Look at this picture of all amazing cards I was gifted by other players. So if you think you're kind of an artist or know someone who draws stuff and you're allowed to use their art, you can make these cards yourself pretty cheap! For those that want to, but have no idea on how to begin. Here's a small guide! Creating the card Today I'm going to show you the process by making an actual card out of this amazing picture of a TIE fighter I drew! I've long thought about which pilot to use, but ar

Invincibility lies in the defense

Invincibility lies in the defense Or not.... But first the introduction! This weekend's tournament was at Outpost Brussels . It's basically my X-wing home away from home and I have competed in more tournaments here than anywhere else. Organization is always top-notch and next to the FFG door-prizes (Engine Upgrade and Integrated Astromech/R2-D2) we also got a bunch of custom-made acrylic tokens.  My list was not one of the original six . With the addition of an extra Store Championship I was able to use this tournament to try out wave XI. The list contains the very-high defense combo of Biggs and Lowhhrick. Added to them is some alpha-strike potential with Nera Dantels. It's not the new fur-ship rebels that became popular in the last week (with Rex and Jess Pava). Main reason for this, as I'm not afraid of netlisting, is that fur-ship rebels wasn't as popular yet when we had to send in our lists almost 2 weeks ago. Sending in your lists b

Setting a challenge

Preparing for Store Champ season So this year I plan on going to 6 Store Championships. And I set myself a challenge. I will fly a new list-archetype every tournament. Most-if-not-all will be meta-archetypes. Some of them will be new, some of them will be old. Some of them I will have flown before, some of them I never even touched. Why would I do this? In preparation for the European Championship I consistently flew my Kanan/Biggs list. And I got good with it. At least good enough to be happy with it. But I also felt I became predictable. Flying a list you've rarely or never flown before makes you less predictable. And with 6 tournaments planned in about as many weeks it's also a tool to fight tournament fatigue. I love X-wing, but sometimes you have to protect yourself from a burn-out. And being the competitive player that I am I don't like to take intentionally 'gimped' stuff just for lulz and giggles. So let's break open the tournament-meta and as the C