Skip to main content

Setting a challenge

Preparing for Store Champ season

So this year I plan on going to 6 Store Championships. And I set myself a challenge. I will fly a new list-archetype every tournament. Most-if-not-all will be meta-archetypes. Some of them will be new, some of them will be old. Some of them I will have flown before, some of them I never even touched.

Why would I do this? In preparation for the European Championship I consistently flew my Kanan/Biggs list. And I got good with it. At least good enough to be happy with it. But I also felt I became predictable. Flying a list you've rarely or never flown before makes you less predictable. And with 6 tournaments planned in about as many weeks it's also a tool to fight tournament fatigue. I love X-wing, but sometimes you have to protect yourself from a burn-out. And being the competitive player that I am I don't like to take intentionally 'gimped' stuff just for lulz and giggles. So let's break open the tournament-meta and as the Carolina Krayts say: "Git Gud!".

So I'm going to outline my planned lists here, with the link to a squadbuilder. Together with some of my previous experiences and plans with the list and some design decisions where applicable. These lists will not be in a specific order.

Thug life

http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/305821/papercuts


Classic scum 4 TLT Y-wings with Unhinged Astromech. I flew these in a swarm during the 2015 Nationals. But I plan on flying them separate this time. Make them choose targets and always have several ships outside of range 1. Torpedo-boats are a threat as they can delete a Y-wing before it can fire. But if they survive the initial volley I might be able to remove a Jumpmaster myself. Fenn or anything with Autothrusters might be a problem. 

Den Trevura

http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/721411/den-trevura



Disclaimer: I was basing this list of Justin Phua's World's winning list, turns out I made it exactly the same! (Okay, that might be an overreaction.) The combination of Unhinged Astromech and K4 Security Droid is great as it gives you free target locks on an amazing dial. This allows you to fire powered up Plasma Torpedoes. Though as preparation, I better re-watch that amazing final against Nand Torfs!

Kanan/Biggs

http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/653312/spark-of-rebellion


Ah, my personal favorite. I don't have a lot to say on this list. Went 5-4 at Euro's with it and you can read some tournament stories in previous blog posts.

BBBBZ

http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/721412/bbbbz


An oldie, but a goodie. Classic Rebels swarm that brings 36 hit points to the table! I saw this list played, quite expertly by BenoƮt a few weeks ago. This sparked my interest in the build again as I now have enough B-wings to run it! It looks like a fun little swarm build, something I love to play. I believe it's generally assumed that the B-wing has a poor dial, but that 2 koiogran turn is pretty amazing. Intending on flying the B-wings in formation with the Z running interference and blocking. Collision Detector can give some options and help with tractor beams going around. It's free, so why not. Just need to get 4 of them, which is difficult as they are only available in the TIE/SF pack.

The Last Jedi

http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/659592/the-last-jedi


A fluff-build! Classic Sloop-Rey with Kanan + Luke in his X-wing. For Rey, Finn works together well with Rey's title. Kanan works together with the sloop from the Millennium Falcon. Inertial Dampeners gives some movement options, sadly doesn't work together with Kanan. Luke can modify focus results on both offense and defense. R2-D2 gives some regen abilities to Luke. Going to fly them in loose formation.

Triple Defenders

http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/608253/triple-defenders


TIE/X7 isn't dead. On the other hand, in the hands of a skilled pilot the nerf doesn't even matter. At least that's my feeling. Vessery is obvious the juicy target here. He get's his target locks for free thanks to the locks from Countess Ryad and Onyx Squadron Pilot. Onyx can run interference and blocking and with Ryad's improved movement capabilities I assume these will not fly in formation.

Got any tips for me? Any other builds I should try when another Store Championship becomes available? Do you know of any other Store Championships going on? Something in Flanders not yet on T3 or maybe in the Netherlands or Germany along the border? Let me know in the comments below!


Comments

  1. What about Dual Aggressors? IG-88B and C. I once came across a list that had the following:

    IG-88B: Crack Shot, Fire Control System, Heavy Laser Cannon, Tractor Beam, Glitterstim, IG-2000, Autothrusters
    IG-88C: Crack Shot, Fire Control System, Mangler Cannon, Tractor Beam, Glitterstim, IG-2000, Autothrusters

    It was a potent list that chewed through my pre nerf Tie Defenders with contemptuous ease.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Swag, swag, SWAG!

Swag, swag, SWAG! No Store Championship this weekend, so this blog post is all about swag! Everyone loves swag! Don't you love swag? I love swag! And lately more and more players have taken to handing out custom (non-official) alternative art cards in tournaments. (I'm trying to start the movement in Belgium) It's in no way a requirement and no-one will look at you dirty if you don't bring anything. It's just a little extra to be nice. Look at this picture of all amazing cards I was gifted by other players. So if you think you're kind of an artist or know someone who draws stuff and you're allowed to use their art, you can make these cards yourself pretty cheap! For those that want to, but have no idea on how to begin. Here's a small guide! Creating the card Today I'm going to show you the process by making an actual card out of this amazing picture of a TIE fighter I drew! I've long thought about which pilot to use, but ar

Just keep swimming

Just keep swimming Alright. Last weekend's tournament at Cartazimut (Mons) didn't go as planned. I brought my Kanan/Biggs list from the European Championship and got destroyed. I ended up 17th out of 22 with a 1-3 record. What happened? Round 1 - Yassin - Jan/Keyan/Thane My opponent was a newer player which probably explains the unusual (at least for me) list. Jan with Predator, TLT and Nien Numb. Keyan with Advanced Sensors and Push the Limit and Thane with R2-D2 (droid), Alliance Overhaul title and Chopper. Going into the match I felt it would be rather easy. Having a double TLT shot with the Ghost would ensure me almost guaranteed 4 hits on those 1-agility ships. However Yassin flew way more aggressive then I  expected which meant I had to switch around targets every turn to have some use of that Fire Control Systems. I traded Keyan for Biggs and then a lot of the Ghost for Jan.  Ezra ejected before the Ghost blew up and I ended up chasing Thane. I was cl

Invincibility lies in the defense

Invincibility lies in the defense Or not.... But first the introduction! This weekend's tournament was at Outpost Brussels . It's basically my X-wing home away from home and I have competed in more tournaments here than anywhere else. Organization is always top-notch and next to the FFG door-prizes (Engine Upgrade and Integrated Astromech/R2-D2) we also got a bunch of custom-made acrylic tokens.  My list was not one of the original six . With the addition of an extra Store Championship I was able to use this tournament to try out wave XI. The list contains the very-high defense combo of Biggs and Lowhhrick. Added to them is some alpha-strike potential with Nera Dantels. It's not the new fur-ship rebels that became popular in the last week (with Rex and Jess Pava). Main reason for this, as I'm not afraid of netlisting, is that fur-ship rebels wasn't as popular yet when we had to send in our lists almost 2 weeks ago. Sending in your lists b