Skip to main content

Imposter Syndrome

Imposter Syndrome

Hey, I'm an X-wing player that likes Quad TLT Y-wings.

Recently I've been playing (and winning) with 4 TLT Y-wings, also known as Thug Life. Just today I took it to a 5th place with a 3-2 record in a 22-people tournament at Ludotrotter. And while the list is old, in the current meta it's absolute bonkers. It eats up Captain Nym's for breakfast. This bomb-meta is a way better environment for it then the ace-wing meta when it was first released. 



But there is a bias against the list. After all, it is a very "easy" list. And I admit, it's probably not the most fun list to play against. And it's very luck-dependant. With that I don't mean dice-luck, because the list is very variance-friendly, more on that later. What  I mean are match-ups. Today I faced 3 Dengar-Nym lists, a real staple list here lately. And I ate them up. Easily winning 100-0 or 100-25. But I also met a list with 2 defenders and against three-agility ships TLT just doesn't work. So match-ups are a luck-factor and just two or three bad match-ups can keep you out of a top cut.

On variance the list is amazing. TLT has two 3-red dice attacks, which average to 1.5 hits without focus and 2.25 hits with focus. So most of the time you will beat any amount of green dice, especially when you start to get a feel for TLT-math.


What I tend to do with TLT (tips to beat me here guys!) is look at how many agility the enemy has  and try to get at least that amount by spending focus tokens if possible. During the second TLT-shot, if no-one is shooting after you ALWAYS spend your focus. Also try to focus fire on one enemy. 2 damage might not hurt an enemy ship that much, but a combination of 3 or 4 TLT-attacks can do up to 8 damage and that's devastating for almost all ships. 

So why the imposter syndrome? Occasionally when you play against someone and win or lose they will start talking about Thug Life being a boring list or even a NPE (Negative Play Experience) or how it's too easy in the current meta and that you don't need any skill to win with it. Or how it's because their dice that suddenly don't work anymore. Sure, I get 3 3-hit attacks in a row (spending focuses), but you kinda forget about the string of 1-hit attacks I had last round dude. After all, it's all their dice!

Honestly. Maybe if you can't beat a low benchmark like this it's either your list or your play that went wrong. And please don't try to make me feel bad about your loss. You're kinda ruining my day too. 

This post is not advocating more people to play quad TLT's. I do encourage you to try it out as a benchmark against your list. And I will keep watching the meta and might bring this to some bigger tournaments in the future, because it's fun!

As a last point I want to do a shout-out to Faan Langelaan (new UK National Champion) and Rasta Maice (the runner-up). I'm really looking forward to watching that match on twitch

Comments

  1. I was playing with Dash when TLT in general and this list in particular had its debut. I stopped playing Dash because of it. It's very lethal against low agility ships.
    You should still play it though! You should not change your list just because it exploits an obvious issue in current meta lists. If they don't want their asses handed out to them, they need to take care of that gaping gap in their defenses. Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Swag, swag, SWAG!

Swag, swag, SWAG! No Store Championship this weekend, so this blog post is all about swag! Everyone loves swag! Don't you love swag? I love swag! And lately more and more players have taken to handing out custom (non-official) alternative art cards in tournaments. (I'm trying to start the movement in Belgium) It's in no way a requirement and no-one will look at you dirty if you don't bring anything. It's just a little extra to be nice. Look at this picture of all amazing cards I was gifted by other players. So if you think you're kind of an artist or know someone who draws stuff and you're allowed to use their art, you can make these cards yourself pretty cheap! For those that want to, but have no idea on how to begin. Here's a small guide! Creating the card Today I'm going to show you the process by making an actual card out of this amazing picture of a TIE fighter I drew! I've long thought about which pilot to use, but ar

Invincibility lies in the defense

Invincibility lies in the defense Or not.... But first the introduction! This weekend's tournament was at Outpost Brussels . It's basically my X-wing home away from home and I have competed in more tournaments here than anywhere else. Organization is always top-notch and next to the FFG door-prizes (Engine Upgrade and Integrated Astromech/R2-D2) we also got a bunch of custom-made acrylic tokens.  My list was not one of the original six . With the addition of an extra Store Championship I was able to use this tournament to try out wave XI. The list contains the very-high defense combo of Biggs and Lowhhrick. Added to them is some alpha-strike potential with Nera Dantels. It's not the new fur-ship rebels that became popular in the last week (with Rex and Jess Pava). Main reason for this, as I'm not afraid of netlisting, is that fur-ship rebels wasn't as popular yet when we had to send in our lists almost 2 weeks ago. Sending in your lists b

Setting a challenge

Preparing for Store Champ season So this year I plan on going to 6 Store Championships. And I set myself a challenge. I will fly a new list-archetype every tournament. Most-if-not-all will be meta-archetypes. Some of them will be new, some of them will be old. Some of them I will have flown before, some of them I never even touched. Why would I do this? In preparation for the European Championship I consistently flew my Kanan/Biggs list. And I got good with it. At least good enough to be happy with it. But I also felt I became predictable. Flying a list you've rarely or never flown before makes you less predictable. And with 6 tournaments planned in about as many weeks it's also a tool to fight tournament fatigue. I love X-wing, but sometimes you have to protect yourself from a burn-out. And being the competitive player that I am I don't like to take intentionally 'gimped' stuff just for lulz and giggles. So let's break open the tournament-meta and as the C